Subject: Multiplexing audio, low latency.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/13/2005 09:22:29
I have one audio device.  It's adequate for what I do with it (e.g.,
audacity, XMMS, the occasional game).

It would be nice to multiplex audio support from various sources.
Has anyone had good experiences with this on NetBSD?  My problems
so far are:

 * Native NetBSD audio doesn't seem to support multiplexing
   a single output channel.

 * Audacity does not recognize esound.

 * esound introduces about a 1/2 second latency in some things.
   This is okay for music playback, but with no esound support
   in Audacity, the main other use for this is games---and a
   half-second latency in sound effects is significant.

 * nasd may or may not be better than esound.  I can't build
   it presently.  (It is now getting undefined symbols.
   Presumably bit-rot set in...the nas client builds fine,
   but if I can't get the server side running, it doesn't
   help.)

   I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to track down the
   missing definitions (at least).

Any thoughts along these lines?

Thanks in advance.