Subject: Re: oddity and extra buttons on USB keyboard
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/12/2005 20:23:59
In message <42ACAC2E.8050007@augustsson.net>, Lennart Augustsson writes:
>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> (Aside: it would be nice if there were a way to refer to usbhid devices
>> by name instead of number, since presumably what gets recognized as
>> uhid0 depends on the order in which the ports to which they're
>> connected are scanned.)
>
>But how would you refer to it by name?  There might be several devices
>of the same kind connected.  But it's a bit annoying as is, I agree.
>I think usbhidaction should be changed so it could just try and handle
>all available uhid devices.
>
>If you want a specific uhid number for your device you can always
>pin it down by locators (either vendor&product or port number).

Good question, since there doesn't seem to be a serial number.

I think that I'd be inclined to have a section name in the config file
that matched against various parts of the device identifier.  Perhaps
it could be a tuple of vendor name, product ID, and port/hub number,
where it did a best-match or a first-match.

I see that uhid(4) speaks of a "reportid".  What is that?  Does it
apply to devices that are plugged and unplugged?