Subject: Re: oddity and extra buttons on USB keyboard
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/12/2005 14:59:34
In message <42AC658C.1020302@augustsson.net>, Lennart Augustsson writes:
>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> uhidev1 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
>> uhidev1: Hewlett Packard product 0x0a24, rev 2.00/1.34, addr 3, iclass 3/1
>> ukbd0 at uhidev1
>> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
>> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
>> uhidev2 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1
>> uhidev2: Hewlett Packard product 0x0a24, rev 2.00/1.34, addr 3, iclass 3/0
>> uhidev2: 2 report ids
>> uhid0 at uhidev2 reportid 1: input=2, output=0, feature=0
>> uhid1 at uhidev2 reportid 2: input=2, output=0, feature=1
>>
>> I believe it reports as two devices because it has a separate,
>> detachable numeric pad.
>
>It reports as three different interfaces, one is a keyboard and
>the other two are probably your extra keys.  You can use usbhidctl
>to see what they do, and use usbhidaction to make them do things.

Thanks; that's helpful.  uhid0 is the extra keys; I haven't yet
figured out what uhid1 is.  Here's the output from usbhidctl; I'm
probably not going to worry, since I can now do something for every
button and key.

$ usbhidctl -f 1  -a
0xff00.0x0223=0
0xff00.0x0221=0
0xff00.0x018a=0
0xff00.Base_Up=0
0xff00.Base_Down=0
0xff00.0x00e2=0
0xff00.0x0192=0
0xff00.0x004c=0
0xff00.0x002b=0
0xff00.0x002a=1
0xff00.0x002c=0
0xff00.0x002d=0
usbhidctl: USB_GET_REPORT(feature) [probably not supported by device]: Input/output error

(Aside: it would be nice if there were a way to refer to usbhid devices
by name instead of number, since presumably what gets recognized as
uhid0 depends on the order in which the ports to which they're
connected are scanned.)