Subject: Re: Delorme EarthMate USB GPS device support???
To: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
From: John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2005 15:18:05
Thomas Runge wrote:

> Virtually every GPS USB receiver uses a USB-to-serial-bridge. Virtually
> every known one is supported by NetBSD.

Yes, well, the unfortunate thing with this particular device is that it
indicates
to the kernel that it is a 'hid' device. The kernel does in fact give
out messages
showing that it is assigned to /dev/uhid0.

I checked around and the Delorme unit is unusual in this regard, hence the
need for the EMUL, EarthMate Userland Library... based on getting at the
libusb package.

On the websites most indicated that someone sometime had done
something on NetBSD, but there's no indication of how long ago
or what version of NetBSD was used.

I did have a few strangenesses using the configure setups in each of the
directories, but in the case of the first stage, usb library, that was not
the case.

This device was the 'most handy'. I have another device at home, so I'm
thinking that I'll try that device before getting into really debug this
device's
problems.

John