Subject: Re: Delorme EarthMate USB GPS device support???
To: John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com>
From: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2005 23:42:05
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, John Clark wrote:

> I have a need to hook up the Delorme EarthMate USB device, and
> of course make it useful. I downloaded a set of stuff which seemed to
> suggest that support was possible:
>
> libusb
> emul
> gpsd-emul
>
> This unfortunately has not led to happy usage. Going upstream in
> testing, I can't get the initial 'libusb' tests to properly give the usb
> tree as they seem to indicate.
>
> The question is, has anyone gotten this set of stuff working on
> a NetBSD 2.0 (standard distribution sources, etc.). And of
> course if someone has this working with a cvs snapshot, what
> are the details of the versions?

Virtually every GPS USB receiver uses a USB-to-serial-bridge. Virtually
every known one is supported by NetBSD.

So, your software just has to deal with a serial line (/dev/ttyUX).
Plugging the hardware into your system should tell that to you,
given you have configured the required USB stuff into your kernel.

Just use 8N1@4800 baud and read the NMEA data as pure text should
do the trick.

--
Tom