Subject: Re: 1024x768 console
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2005 08:48:29
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:42:39PM +1000, Charlie Allom wrote:
> macppc and sun (maybe pmax?) use their own frame buffer.

Yes, but we have a common framework for this - but it does not restrict
console resolution.

> the argument that it shouldn't be done because it's not portable doesn't
> really stand up imho.

I don't think that argument realy was made. VESA is "portable" in this context,
and I think vga raster console does use it (though I haven't ever tried
it - look for "options VGA_RASTERCONSOLE" in i386/conf/*)

> i386 has all sorts of niceties like virtual consoles
> already.

Some sparc, ~all sparc64 and some macppc machines have that too ;-)

Martin