Subject: Re: google's summer of code makefs extension
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2005 01:46:46
In article <20050608222913.GA1222@ispid.com.pl>,
Zbigniew Baniewski  <zb@ispid.com.pl> wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:18:00AM +0300, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
>> Please don't. If you really want, first fix reiserfs on linux so that:
>
>Do you mean: you don't like Reiserfs "generally" - or only V3.5.23?
>
>> 1. It has an fsck that works instead of spending 18 hours or an 1T filesystem
>>    only to proclaim in the end that it cannot be fixed.
>
>I've got to use "reiserfsck" to rescue my filesystem - it did it! :) It was
>reiserfs 3.6.25.
>
>(not reiserfs failure - it was because of overheated processor and memory
>troubles).
>
>> 2. Does not turn data into trash after a few weeks of heavy filesystem use.
>
>Using Reiserfs since 5 years - no special troubles... but it's not "heavy
>filesystem use". Formerly on 2 not so heavily loaded servers, currently on
>desktop.
>
>Still voting for reiserfs :)

Good for you. I still would not trust my data (and I now know that I should
not) with an fsck that says:

  ** This  is  an  experimental  version  of  reiserfsck, **
  **              !! MAKE A BACKUP FIRST !!               **
  ** Don't run this program unless something  is  broken. **
  ** Some types of random FS damage can be recovered from **
  ** by  this  program,   which  basically   throws  away **
  ** the internal nodes of the tree and then reconstructs **
  ** them. This program is for use only by the desperate, **
  ** and is  of only beta quality.  If you are using  the **
  ** latest  reiserfsprogs  and  it  fails  please  email **
  ** bug reports to reiserfs-list@namesys.com.            **

Or do you have non-experimental version and one that actually works properly?

christos