Subject: Re: Bad sectors vs RAIDframe
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2005 11:34:56
David Brownlee writes:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Stephen Borrill wrote:
>
> [...raidframe failing when both disks in a RAID1 set suffer bad sectors..]
> >
> > This is happening far too often for me now though (just had another failure
>
> > of 2 discs - this time 250GB). These are all with 1.6.2 machines, so it wou
> ld
> > be great to come up with a plan to minimise future problems. Especially as
> > these are at (generally clueless) customer sites.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > My plan is to hurry forward the migration to 2.0.2 from 1.6.2 and to run a
> > nightly check which will email both the customer and ourselves if it spots
> > any failed components.
>
>  	Another potential stopgap option might be to ask Greg if
>  	he could produce a patchset for 1.6.2 for the 'stop raidframe
>  	failing last component' change.

That would be a fairly major undertaking.  There have been a *lot*
of changes since 1.6.2, and, in particular, a pile of work to get
functions to return error codes (and then use those codes!) instead
of just panicing.  It would likely be faster to back port all changes
than it would be to just generate a patchset for this issue...

Later...

Greg Oster