Subject: Re: Local Network Browsing problem
To: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2005 04:24:54
Well, since KDE and Lisa are not part of the NetBSD OS (what is Lisa,
anyway?), it's a little hard to answer that question offhand.

How did you install KDE and Lisa?  Did you install pre-built binary
packages (are you running them under, perhaps, GNU/LINUX emulation)?
If so, where did you get them from?  If you built it yourself, did you
download tarballs and do it "by hand", or did you use pkgsrc?

As for your Samba interactions, I've always used the samba package
to talk to the MS implementation of the samba (or "SMB") protocol.
NetBSD now includes built-in support for mounting remote samba
filesystems, but no built-in support for samba printers (that I know
of).  You might try installing the samba package from pkgsrc and
using that to set up a printer.

It's not clear to me if you want to print to a samba printer shared
from another machine, or provide a NetBSD printer to an MS system.
The samba package can do both, I believe---but bewarned that if
the printer is on an MS system, you will still have to do the hard
part of supporting the printer from NetBSD: Translating application
data into printer-specific data.  The ideal to hope for is that
your printer is PostScript compatible.  It looks like you can run
Ghostscript and a program called "RedMon" on an MS system to help
if the printer is not already a PostScript printer; otherwise, you'll
probably need Ghostscript on your NetBSD machine, and need to find
a matching printer back-end from Ghostscript to your physical printer.)

Good luck...