Subject: overriding standard executables via pkgsrc
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2005 09:52:28
I'm curious what people regard as the best way to override standard
system executables with local versions or versions from pkgsrc.

Just installing things in /usr/pkg/bin or /usr/local/bin runs afoul of
the default PATH -- those follow /bin and /usr/bin.  Change the default
path in login.conf?  Is that the only place $PATH is set from?  Change
things in per-user .profile?  That isn't executed during ssh, I believe.

Deleting or chmoding the standard executables is causes problems for
upgrades.

Other choices?  (Weird games with overlay file systems in the Plan 9
style?)