Subject: Re: default xdm/Xresources for NetBSD
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/05/2005 17:53:44
* Louis  Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu> [2005-06-05 11:06]:
> I recently noticed that the default xdm/Xresources were modified to use
> the NetBSD logo. Good idea, but the default xdm is kind of a patchy
> mess. The colours don't co-ordinate. It just seems that little thought
> was put into making it look clean.

Worse.  When using the new xdm/Xresources with a cgsix (8 bit)
framebuffer on sparc64 running Xsun, XDM will refuse to start:

| X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
|   Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
|   Resource id in failed request:  0x0
|   Serial number of failed request:  293
|   Current serial number in output stream:  293

This is the case for all three NetBSD logos supplied in xdm/pixmaps, but
not for the two standard XFree86 logos.  I didn't get around to figure
out whether this can be fixed without changing the pixmaps yet.

> Also I set the background in Xsetup_0 and removed the console.

At least on sparc and sparc64 (using the default syslog.conf), the XDM
display will be messed up with console messages if you don't capture
them to xconsole.

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE