Subject: Re: RAIDFrame Question
To: None <ao-netbsd@replic.net>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/05/2005 09:58:00
> Here is the disklabel for sd5; sd1-5 are all the same
> 7 partitions:
> #        size  offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  a: 142264000       0       RAID                     # (Cyl.      0 -=
  47997*)
>  d: 142264000       0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -=
  47997*)
>  g:     16002      63    unknown                     # (Cyl.      0*-=
      5*)

If I'm not terribly mistaken, this spells trouble further down
the road, even if you now did -I and -i.  The problem is that you
allocate the entire physical disk to raidframe.  Where should
then the disk label for the disk be stored?  I think the disk
label needs to be stored outside of the area allocated to
raidframe.  Obviously this is at least partly machine-dependent,
but the disk label is usually stored close to the start of the
(NetBSD part of the) drive.

What I think I would have done here is to start the RAID
partition 63 sectors in, and would also probably remove the 'g'
partition.

What's also odd and/or unconventional is that there is no 'c'
partition.  The 'c' partition is used to indicate which part of
the disk belongs to NetBSD (on i386, amd64) or indicate the raw
partition (most if not all other ports).

Regards,

- H=E5vard