Subject: Re: Another pkgsrc updating question (sorry!)
To: Eric d'Alibut <eric.halibut@gmail.com>
From: Loren M. Lang <lorenl@alzatex.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2005 14:57:00
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:45:58PM -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> I have tried to follow some of the many discussions of how to update
> packages in pkgsrc, but I have yet, afaik, to see my query discussed.
>
> I am in /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnome. I am running 'make install' to
> move from the 2.8 vintage gnome to 2.10.
>
> My query:
>
> How can I instruct 'make' each time it asks me to 'pkg_delete' a
> package it is about to reinstall -- which usually necessitates an '-f'
> arg to force the delete -- to automatically do the pkg_delete, with
> the '-f' if needed, without asking me?
>
> (I tried running 'make update' but that seems to delete too many
> packages -- packages that do not need to be rebuilt for gnome 2.10.)

Yea, I find make update dangerous and a pain if something breaks.  But
if no problems arise during the build, it will eventually get the job
done.  I'm currently looking at pkg_chk as an alternative.  Also saving
a list of install packages from pkg_info or ls /var/db/pkg will help
later just in case.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2