Subject: what is a serial BREAK ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2005 11:51:52
Hi,
not strictly NetBSD-related (although my primary concern is to be able
to enter NetBSD's ddb from the system I'm designing :) but I know there are
some knowlegeable peoples here.

What is, from an electrical POW, a BREAK on a serial line ?
A long period at high voltage level, a long period at the low voltage
level, or a long period at ground ?

I plan to use a MAX232 to convert the TTL signal to RS232 levels,
and I don't know if I can generate a BREAK by driving the
MAX232 input, or if I need some extra circuitery.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>