Subject: Re: ddb sync and dump device questions
To: rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/27/2005 07:21:05
--------------enigEB92C2B69BAA4968B4A0EBE4

rudolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried several times to make kernel dump core to dump device and
> restart, but the ddb never completed the job. It just hangs. I thought
> that the problem could be raidframe dump device or mp kernel, but ddb
> hangs even on non-mp kernel and ordinary wd dump device. Sometimes the
> ddb hangs right after:
>
> Stopped at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x1: ret
> db{0}> sync
> syncing disks... done

<snip>

> yet. Savecore on consequent boot never saved anything. I don't really
> understand these things so what do you think is wrong here? It's amd64
> machine with 2 processors, kernel 2.0_STABLE.

You can bypass the sync and force a crash dump by using a flag of 0x104
to reboot:
db{0}> reboot 0x104

(0x104 represents RB_DUMP and RB_NOSYNC ... see sys/reboot.h for more
reboot flags)
If it's possible to make a crash dump (it isn't always), this will cause
it to.

> Are these valid examples how to set dump device to whatever I want on
> startup using fstab:
> /dev/raid4a none swap sw,dp 0 0
> or
> /dev/wd2a none swap dp 0 0

I think you need "sw" and "dp" on different lines.  Here's what I have
on one system:

/dev/raid0b     none    swap    sw      0 0
/dev/wd0b       none    swap    dp      0 0

+j