Subject: Re: unrecognized pcmcia ethernet card
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2005 14:32:00
--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> He's looking for the CIS information, not the MAC address.
>=20
> I think it's in the stuff that was printed when the card wasn't=20
> recognized.

I think he explicitly asked for the MAC prefix:

which often can't be read from the CIS with "ne" clones on PCMCIA...
(been there, done that.)

Some have a CIS that can be used to match.
Some have a string in the CIS that can be used to match.
Some have the MAC in a nonstandard place in the CIS and you must use that
to recognize them because the first two options don't exist.

With the first two options, sometimes you find the full MAC in the CIS
in a nonstandard place, and sometimes you have to invent the prefix. I
assumed the original poster had this last problem.

Regards,
	-is

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg--