Subject: Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD on older hardwar (MMX)
To: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2005 17:55:42
On Mon, 16 May 2005, Dick Davies wrote:

> Hate to say it, but if you really want to compare the two you need to
> maintain them for six months.
>
> pkgsrc tends to lag a bit behind the ports tree for updates and security
> fixes in my experience

I personally use pkgsrc on my FreeBSD systems because for some the
software I use, pkgsrc is more up-to-date.

But I guess it depends on the software:

Xorg 6.8.2 in Ports on March 17, and in pkgsrc on March 1.

KDE updated to 3.4 in Ports on March 20 and in pkgsrc on March 23.

Apache 2.0.54 in Ports on April 17 and in pkgsrc on April 25.

Gnome nautilus 2.10.1 in Ports on April 11 and in pkgsrc on April 19.

BIND 9.3.0 ISC security patch in Ports on January 28 and in pkgsrc on
January 26. (But Ports is now at 9.3.1.)

Tiff 3.72 in Ports on April 18 and in pkgsrc on March 23. Latest security
fix for tiff in pkgsrc on May 12, but not in Ports.

>, and portupgrade handles complicated dependencies
> far, far better than 'make update'.

portupgrade and "make update" should not be compared. portupgrade is an
extra tool and could be compared with pkg_chk instead.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/