Subject: Weird bash .profile and picky Xorg MANPATH
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kosta Kilim <kopno@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2005 18:19:28
Hello !

I've installed NetBSD recently and to getting familiar with it. So far
I'm getting this "clean" feeling and I'm loving it.

But I have some simple questions that I couldn't find the answers to
on my own. They are relatively trivial yet a bit annoying.

I've set up .profile to my liking and everything works fine while I'm
at the console, but once I startx into Xorg, every instance of the
login shell in a xterm that I bring up doesn't read it. Or to clarify,
it reads my PS1 setting just fine, but not my alias settings, some of
which are:

alias m='less'
alias e='emacs'

The shell in question is bash and I've chsh-ed it after installing it
via pkgsrc. I don't have .bash_profile in my $HOME.

Once I run ". .profile" it reverts back to normal behavior. But only
for the particular invocation of xterm + bash. I have to do this in
every other xterm for it to take effect. Not halal.

How do I resolve this ?

Running this on current with the latest bash from pkgsrc.

Another question is this one:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/02/23/0010.html

as posted by Nuno Teixeira almost two and a half months ago. And it
seems that nobody posted the answer to it.

My problem isn't setting the PATH for Xorg, as that works great, but
the MANPATH.

I've put this in my /etc/man.conf

xorg /path/to/xorg's/man/pages

so if I do 'man startx' nothing comes up, yet if I do

'man xorg startx'

'startx' manpage is brought up.

I would like it to set the Xorg's MANPATH so that I don't have to
specify anything extra apart from 'man' and the page I happened to be
looking for. How do I do that ?

If you could help me with these queries I would be very grateful.

Thanks
--
kopno@sdf.lonestar.org