Subject: Re: pkgsrc branch vs. current?
To: Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2005 09:19:36
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Martijn van Buul wrote:

> It occurred to me that Kirk Strauser wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> > if I install NetBSD 2.0.2, am I expected to track one particular branch (as
> > would be the case with OpenBSD), or is it OK to follow CVS head (like in
> > FreeBSD)?
>
> You can track HEAD, or you can stick to a branch - whathever suits you best.
>
> Sticking to a branch means that you don't have to deal with constantly
> updating packages and dependencies, and that you can benefit from having
> binary packages, but it has some drawbacks in case of a security problem.

I don't consider it a drawback. Security fixes are in the stable branch
and in many cases the security fix is done so the update is easy as
possible.

For example, for one Apache security issue, I patched the current version
and requested pullup of it for the stable branch and then I updated the
Apache package to the newer version for pkgsrc-current (HEAD). That way,
the Apache was basically same as before for the stable branch.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/