Subject: Re: xdm on machine w/o screen/keyboard/mouse
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/30/2005 14:39:48
In article <20050429195309.GA19680@atheria.tumfatig.net>,
> I decided to try to connect to my firewall using xdm/Xnest.

That should work.

> I used "XFree86 -configure" to set XF86Config.

The XFree86 server is designed to run a on system with a graphics card,
mouse and keyboard. Why do you want to use it on a headless system?

> I'm wondering if there're any tweaks to run xdm when you have no
> keyboard/screen.

1.) "xdm" does *not* care whether your system has a keyboard and
    screen.
2.) The program which cares is the X11 server. You will have to change the
    configuration file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers" so that "xdm"
    will start "Xnest" instead.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/