Subject: Broken gnome-terminal in gnome 2.8 .. 2.10?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/27/2005 22:55:35
   Hi, I am wondering if anyone else can reproduce this GNOME bug. I am
running 2.0 GENERIC on i386 with a current pkgsrc as of app. 40h ago.

- gnome 2.6(.2?) packages (from then current pkgsrc): gnome2-terminal URL
   capture works fine. That is, putting the mouse pointer over any URL in
   a terminal window underlines it and brings up options for opening it
   when you right-click the underlined link.

- gnome 2.8.2, gnome 2.8.3 and gnome 2.10.0: URL capture broken as
   follows:

   http://foo.bar.com        -> Not underlined/recognized.
   http://foo.bar.com/baz    -> Same.
   <http://foo.bar.com>      -> Recognized, but doesn't work since
                                the < and > gets included in the URL,
                                and gnome doesn't know what to do with
                                "<http:" URLs. Exact error is one window
                                which says "Could not open the address
                                "<http://foo.bar.com>": There is no default
                                action associated with this location." and
                                another one saying (when you click
                                "details"): "Bad key or directory name:
                                "/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/<http/enabled":
                                `<' is an invalid character in
                                 key/directory names".
   <http://foo.bar.com/>      -> Not recognized(!).
   <http://foo.bar.com/baz>   -> Recognized, but again doesn't work.

   I am starting to wonder if I somehow have gnome-terminal configuration
pollution from my old 2.6 install (which I afaik never edited manually,
certainly not any gnome-terminal settings -- it just worked) or something.

   It's pretty annoying, and gnome-terminal itself works fine on Other
Platforms(tm). Is anyone else seeing or NOT seeing this behaviour? I
assume it's something wrong with my gnome install but I frankly can't see
what.

TIA,
ali