Subject: Re: block- vs raw disk performance
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2005 16:09:43
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:01:25PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:

> Another thing is that newfs (without -O 2) is painstakingly slow. I aborted
> it after 10 minutes. Creating a ufs2 partition was much faster.

You're running newfs on the block device?  Don't do that.  Use the raw
device.

In fact, with the current structure of the buffer and page caches you
pretty much don't want to use the block device for anything at all.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky