Subject: Re: block- vs raw disk performance
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2005 13:00:44
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:58:50PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
>

>>How come sd0d is so slow sometimes?
>>

>When you dd to and from the block device node, every I/O forces allocation
>in the metadata cache.  Why would you expect that to be a good thing?

I suppose the rhetorical question is, why would a 'block device' need
more than partition offset justments
for the seeks on the device? File 'metadata' sure, but why 'block device
... metadata' ie nonfile structured, for
a 'real block device', as opposed to a 'fake' device which may be a
file, local or remote, or a 'device'
simulated by a connection to a remote entity (e.g. iSCSI).