Subject: Re: Support for SATA (NetBSD 2.0)
To: None <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/05/2005 01:14:43
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:55:21 -0400
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:36:35AM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> > But does "satalink" support all three controlers:
> >
> > o Silicon Image 3112 SATALink (satalink(4))
> > o Silicon Image 3114 SATALink (satalink(4))
> > o Silicon Image 3512 SATALink (satalink(4))
> >
> > ...as it does in "current"?
>
> Yes.  The one it doesn't support is the SATAlink 3524.  This is really
> a shame, because the 3524 is much smarter and supports command queueing.
>
> We have SiI 3112 and 3114 controllers in several NetBSD.ORG machines.
> They seem to work very well.

I've no idea of how good they are technically, but I do know that the 3114 works with NetBSD 2.0, as 2 out of 3 my raidframe (raid 5) disks are on it.  The other is on the higher performing intel sata controller.  Someone told me that I'd get better performance as the intel controller doesn't have to go via the PCI bus, whereas the satalink does.  (note I've not tried all ways of wiring up the disks, so there maybe better/faster configurations)

Overall the machine has been pretty stable as my main server for a good 16 months or so.

Chris