Subject: Re: managing tens of NetBSD machines
To: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/02/2005 19:26:25
In message <20050402230816.GA28202@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>, Henry Nelson writes:
>On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:34:26AM -0600, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
>> I probably have 70 or 80 NetBSD machines sending me mail every
>
>How do you pay the electricity bill?

That's work's problem.  That's where most of them are, nameservers,
database servers, logging servers, AFS servers, kerberos servers,
print servers, dhcp servers, web servers, ftp servers, intrusion
detection, port scanning, monitoring.... I think that's most of it.
A few desktops.  I have a much smaller number of them at home,
but they also send me mail.  And there's this project I do
volunteer work for, there's a few more NetBSD boxes there.

>> night, and I add more machines on a regular basis.  With all the
>> other mail I get, I'd like to figure out a better way to handle
>> all the reports.  What do other people do, just read all the
>> reports, send them into something that checks for a problem,
>
>I use procmail to log everything, but to only put reports with non-
>default content into my mailbox:
>
>:0
>* ^From root@(ews0[1-2]|home)\.(myisp\.net|myinternallan)
>{
>:0 wc
>* ^Subject: ews01 .*output for
>|$FORMAIL -k -X From -X Date: -X Subject: -X Message-ID: \
>|/usr/bin/gzip --best >>$HOME/.logs/ews01-sec.gz
>:0 wc
>* ^Subject: ews02 .*output for
>|$FORMAIL -k -X From -X Date: -X Subject: -X Message-ID: \
>|/usr/bin/gzip --best >>$HOME/.logs/ews02-sec.gz
>:0 wc
>* ^Subject: home .*output for
>|$FORMAIL -k -X From -X Date: -X Subject: -X Message-ID: \
>|/usr/bin/gzip --best >>$HOME/.logs/home-sec.gz
>:0 B
>* (Nothing to report on|Uptime:  .* 0 users,)
>/dev/null
>:0 B
>*  11^0 ^Rebuilding locate database:$
>*  10^1 ^$
>/dev/null
>:0:
>$MAILDIR/sec-rep
>}

I haven't done tons with procmail, thanks for the recipe.

-Tracy