Subject: Re: booting and ide-cards
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2005 16:49:23
> Now if i boot the system without an harddrive on the pci-controller,
> there is no problem and the system boots from wd0a.
> If i attach drives to the controller, the system starts but the bootdrive is
> now wd2 and the booting fails.
>
> Is it possible to fix the bootdrive hd0 to wd0 ? Or is there an other
> solution?

You can build a custom kernel with the drives in fixed locations.  You need
to build a custom kernel with an additional configureation line something
like:

	wd0	at atabus1 drive 0

(this will fix the first drive on ATA bus 1 to wd0).

If you look at the dmesg output on this machine, you will see a line like:

	wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <ST320011A>

which will tell you the ATA bus and drive number to use in the kernel config.

The default is to automatically configure the drives as they are found.  In
your case, the extra controller is probably being probed before the on-board
one, causing drives attached to that to configure first.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/