Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2005 12:57:20
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:44:29AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > First, I think that you have found a bug (though also a workaround) [..]
>
> And - on the other hand - I'm wondering, why there's a need to create that
> ~/.inputrc file, containing:     "\e[3~": delete-char   ?
>
> Is it tied in some way to VT100-standard?

No, since the VT100 don't have a delete key in the way you seem to want.
In short, a key marked "delete", which is expected to delete characters to
the right of the cursor don't exist on a VT100. You have a Rubout key
(don't remember if it is marked "Rubout", "Delete", "<-" or whatever)
which you'd expect delete a character to the left of the cursor, and which
sends the ASCII DEL character, and then you have a Backspace key, marked
"Backspace", which sends the ASCII BS character, and that's it.

	Johnny