Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2005 00:08:56
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Dan LaBell wrote:

[...]

> I suppose I will retract any comment about inconsistency , since I don't want
> to be more consistent with vt220.  I've used them, and they are wierd.  For
> example, < > are their own key,  Shift-COMMA isn't < and when touch typing
> that seemed criminal.  They have CAPS lock where CTRL should be, and as
> seemingly punitive measure placed CTRL to the left of it, so if you want ctrl
> you have to reach over caps lock.  PC and MAC keyboards are more similiar to
> each other than to vt series.

:-)
That's a matter of taste. I agree that the idea of placing < > on their
own key, and all that followed was abomination. However, the placement of
shift, lock and ctrl is much nicer than on a PC keyboard.

All you need is a VT300 or newer, and you can have the placement of < >
and that stuff restored to normal again. (Obviously a lot people were
unhappy with that detail, so DEC made it possible to back out of it.)

	Johnny