Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/2005 21:00:07
In article <424AF154.5020306@earthlink.net>,
	Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net> writes:
> Hello,
>
>    JB> Traditionally, the key marked "<X]", "<-" or whatever,
>     > located above the return key, have sent the ASCII DEL
>     > character. This key have traditionally been used to
>     > delete the character to the left of the cursor.
>
> wscons emulates a DEC terminal (VT100 with some VT220ish
> extensions?)  From what I remember of DEC terminals, those
> have both Backspace (\010) and Delete (\177) keys near the
> return key.

I have a 420 right here... the "rubout" key sends ASCII DEL,
while F12, which also says "(BS)" under it, sends Control_H.
There is no little "Delete" key: the "Insert Here", "Remove"
and "Select" keys appear to be the inspiration for the the
PC keyboards "Insert", "Delete" and so on, but they send no
characters.  Rather, they are used to copy and paste within
the terminal.

Frederick