Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/2005 15:39:01
On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   JB> Traditionally, the key marked "<X]", "<-" or whatever,
>     > located above the return key, have sent the ASCII DEL
>     > character. This key have traditionally been used to
>     > delete the character to the left of the cursor.
>
> wscons emulates a DEC terminal (VT100 with some VT220ish
> extensions?)  From what I remember of DEC terminals, those
> have both Backspace (\010) and Delete (\177) keys near the
> return key.
>
> - Andy Ball

I think the thread is actually talking about grey pad delete, the
delete in  the
pad between main keyboard area and number pad in the pc/xt keyboard,
and pc/at keyboard
  at least that's what:
> wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 211 = KP_Delete"
addresses.

I've found that where TERM=xterm, or TERM=linux, or TERM=wsvt25m , etc
are not avaliable
  that using TERM=vt100 or TERM=vt220 does not work completely, but that
TERM=vt102 works.
Seems to be recommended in termcap as well.

Found a picture of vt-180 supposed to be a vt100 with add in z80 card
making it a computer
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=605  The
picture is small, but I  can see the delete.

Link to a vt102 keyboard diagram:
  http://vt100.net/docs/vt102-ug/figure1-6.html

Better picture of a vt100:
  http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taouu/html/graphics/vt100.jpg
of keyboard:
  http://www.security-lab.de/pics/kb-vt100.JPG
vt102 picture:
  http://www.tprthai.net/comps/decvt102.jpg

VT220 keyboard:
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/vt320-keyboard.jpg
vt220 itself:
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/gallery/vt220.jpg

I suppose I will retract any comment about inconsistency , since I
don't want to be more consistent with vt220.  I've used them, and they
are wierd.  For example, < > are their own key,  Shift-COMMA isn't <
and when touch typing that seemed criminal.  They have CAPS lock where
CTRL should be, and as seemingly punitive measure placed CTRL to the
left of it, so if you want ctrl you have to reach over caps lock.  PC
and MAC keyboards are more similiar to each other than to vt series.

For what it's worth after downloading of a rather large pdf of a vt100
manual I find
that the vt100 keyboard is largely similiar if not the same as vt102 (
see link above )
And that the area is question looks like:
+/=  ~/` backspace BREAK
]/}  Return del

Where that's the top of an L shaped Return key, so thats break to the
right of backspace
and del is almost below it, but a little to the right.