Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2005 18:30:44
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:17:52AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:

> It may be that what you are seeing is the *application* is treating
> Delete and BackSpace the same.  Is that possible?

I don't think so. In the text-mode "delete" is still "backspace-like" - in
the shell, while using "screen"-utility, and also in applications.

> It is certainly true that (under X) I have no problem getting different
> behavior with the Delete and BackSpace keys. [..]
> wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 14 = Cmd_ResetEmul BackSpace"
>
> ...and now when I type the BackSpace key, I get BS (0x08, or ^H)
> rather than DEL (0x7f).  The Delete key continues to send DEL [..]

But the problem is, that in the console mode (which I'm using most of the
time), "Delete" key acts as "additional Backspace".

My proposal was to resolve the problem "once for all", system- and
applications-wide, just by adding one more definition, which can be then
"manually" tied to "Delete" key by those, who - just like me - prefer to
have "true Delete key", instead of "spare Backspace".

Perhaps it's not that bad idea to include that definition in the upcoming
release? It'll not spoil anything; it just gives a possibility to have
"Delete" for all that NetBSD-users, which want it. Without the need for
using many "workarounds", separate for shell, for joe, for xterm, perhaps
writing xmodmap (which is kind obsolete solution)... and so on, and so on.

If anybody really prefers "double Backspace" - he doesn't need to write such
"wsconsctl" incantation, so such solution will not spoil default "pure VT100"
standard of terminal. It just gives a little more freedom.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski