Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Inter-Spider <info@ispid.com.pl>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2005 07:17:52
No, I am not using NetBSD 2.0.  My kernel is 3.99.1 (basically, -current
from a week ago, roughly), while my userland is 2.99.11 (-current from
about 6 months ago).  Both are "further along" than 2.0, but since 2.0 was
branched from -current sometime early last year (or towards the middle of
last year?), it is hard to compare 2.0 to what I'm running.

It may be that what you are seeing is the *application* is treating
Delete and BackSpace the same.  Is that possible?

It is certainly true that (under X) I have no problem getting different
behavior with the Delete and BackSpace keys.

Here's what I wrote:

wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 14 = Cmd_ResetEmul BackSpace"

...and now when I type the BackSpace key, I get BS (0x08, or ^H)
rather than DEL (0x7f).  The Delete key continues to send DEL
characters.  This makes a very visible difference in, e.g., csh
(which I leave set for the root account).

(I don't know what Cmd_ResetEmul is about.  But the original
code 14 had "Cmd_ResetEmul Delete", and I only wanted to split
Delete and BackSpace...(^&)

If this does not work in 2.0, then maybe it was addressed after
2.0 forked off of -current last year.