Subject: System running out of vnodes
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2005 13:07:37
	Hello,

this morning a daemon on my system died with this error message:

Mar 25 09:20:26 colwyn milter-greylist: mkstemp("/var/milter-greylist/greylist.db-000481il") failed: Too many open files in system

I thought the system had run out of file descriptors until I found a lot
of these in the kernel messages:

vnode: table is full - increase kern.maxvnodes or NVNODE

What could cause this? "kern.maxvnodes" is set to 131072 on that system
(NetBSD-i386 2.0.2). It was building KDE 3.4 at that point of time but
I've never seen an error like this before while building packages.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/