Subject: Re: Internet telephony. (In Turnette, tell a phony?)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2005 04:06:15
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:01:26PM -0800, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Asterisk is supposed to work pretty well on NetBSD.  I am currently
 [...]

Thanks for the extensive answer.  Sorry for not replying earlier.

I guess that the good news is that it sounds like I can do what
I want, but the bad news is that I have to sift through quite a
bit of info.

Alas, there is no pkgsrc package for it.  (^&

Maybe sometime this weekend I'll see if I can build it by hand.

> but I am fairly familiar with getting the basics setup with Asterisk,
> inter-asterisk-exchange connections, Digium hardware setup, etc.  Feel
> free to ask questions.

Okay.  Thanks.  I'll take you up on that; here are a few offhand:

 * If I ever want (or for some reason need) a traditional phone,
   what would I be looking at by way of hardware to add to the
   computer?  (I am familiar with none of this...)

 * What kind of CPU would be required?  My fastest system should be
   more than sufficient (AMD64), but every 15 seconds or so it seems
   to have a system-wide freeze for a second (this started around August,
   last year, give or take, and persists with a 3.99.1 kernel that I
   built a couple of days ago).  The next fastest computer that is
   directly on the 'net is an old 450MHz (I think) Pentium III.
   (Inbetween, I have an 800MHz Athlon that is off of the 'net...
   I thought that I read something about NAT causing problems for
   this, though, and that computer is not likely to be put directly
   on the 'net.))