Subject: Re: Referencing NetBSD man-pages via the web.
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/2005 00:31:05
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:38:04PM -0800, Ben Collver wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:25:16PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > There's an interface to read man-pages for NetBSD via the web (referenced
> > from one of the NetBSD pages).  But when I tried to copy the URL and use
> > it, the resulting page did not come up correctly.  (Sorry, I don't remember
> > precise details and don't have the particular page in front of me.  And it's
> > been a while since I did that...)
> >
> > If I want to refer to the NetBSD ls(1) or dlopen(3) man-pages, for example,
> > how can I do that?  Or is that not supported?
> >
> > (Actually, any OS's man-pages would do if they are close enough.  But why
> > not give NetBSD a little more publicity?  (^&)
>
> >From the front page of netbsd.org, there is a link to man.netbsd.org,
> which directs to netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?++NetBSD-current
>
> If you want to refer to ls(1), view
> http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ls+1+NetBSD-current

Hm.  I had tried that more than once before.  When I go to the
http://www.NetBSD.org/ page and "do the obvious thing" to get there,
now, I can get the man-page, but the URL that I'm told is used is:

  http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ls++NetBSD-current

...i.e., missing the "1" (section number).  links displays the
page, but shows me a URL that can't get back.  This is probably
what I got in the past, and is probably why I was never able to
refer to the page.

> I am sure there are other HTML versions of the NetBSD manuals as well,
> such as the ones that were at flame.org or freebsd.org.

One is sufficient.  (^&  Thanks!