Subject: Re: Internet telephony. (In Turnette, tell a phony?)
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2005 21:01:26
Asterisk is supposed to work pretty well on NetBSD.  I am currently
using it on a Linux box (I need the G.729 codec that is only available
as a binary module) and it works well for me.
http://www.asterisk.org/

If you get a hard phone like a cheap Grandstream
http://www.grandstream.com/ or a POTS <-> VoIP adapter like the Sipura
SPA-3000 http://www.sipura.com/ you will be able to have what seems
like a "normal" phone that calls anything / anywhere.  You can also
use "soft phones" to make calls from a computer with a headset or just
a mic/speaker combo.

If you sign-up with Pulver Free World Dialup (
http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ ) you can call others on the FWD
dialing plan, and some other VoIP networks (
http://www.freeworlddialup.com/advanced/peering_numbers ) directly.

You can use someone like IConnectHere to get long distance to the PSTN
for cheap, use http://www.ipkall.com/ to get a free POTS *incoming*
phone number that routes to your asterisk box, or just about any
combination of services.

I suggest going to http://www.voip-info.org/ and reading up on
Asterisk and other solutions that are available.

I hope to start using Asterisk on NetBSD soon (Thanks Jeff for porting
those drivers), but I will lose access to my G.729 codec on NetBSD so
it will take some re-design.

Anyway, I won't claim to be any expert, or even have an optimum setup,
but I am fairly familiar with getting the basics setup with Asterisk,
inter-asterisk-exchange connections, Digium hardware setup, etc.  Feel
free to ask questions.

-Andrew