Subject: Re: Why is my RAM Frying?
To: David Shaw <dave.shaw@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/14/2005 23:25:45
In message <59cc77be050314201332cda391@mail.gmail.com>, David Shaw writes:
>It was even cooler... I suppose that rules out overheating as an issue?

It would seem to.

Have you checked your BIOS configuration for speed, wait cycles, etc?
Are you sure your memory is the right speed for your motherboard?  (I'm
grasping at straws here...)  Have you tried running one SIMM at a time?
I once had a laptop where either card alone tested fine, but but
together generated random failures.  The cause was apparently
capacitance right on the edge of the spec.  I eventually ended up
ordering two new DIMMs from a single vendor; that worked.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb