Subject: Re: 802.11 wireless and tcpdump
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2005 12:33:45
When I type:
ethereal -i ath0 -L
(-i required, as ath0 is not default)
I get:
Data link types (use option -y to set):
  DLT 1 (Ethernet)
  DLT 127 (IEEE 802.11 plus BSD WLAN header)
  DLT 105 (IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN)

I should also mention that a kernel panic can occur when using monitor
mode if transmit rates have not been pre-set. See PR kern/29442.
Also kismet is a good program for monitoring wireless. Their currently
is no NetBSD package for this. I have patched kismet for NetBSD, but the
method I used is not in a format that can be submitted to the kismet
people. I used the FreeBSD portions as a base, and then added the
features that the FreeBSD version did not have, such as current channel
display, signal level, acpi battery monitor.