Subject: build a rc script for syslogd replacement
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2005 16:24:35
Hi,

I compiled/install/configured syslog-ng as a replacement for syslogd.
Then I copied /etc/rc.d/syslogd to /etc/rc.d/syslog-ng.
Finally, replaced "name, rcvar, command and required_files".

The trouble is, nothing starts (with the script, by-hand is OK :)
I was wondering what the "nice" way to handle syslog replacement was.
That is what is the nice way to :
- not start syslogd (syslogd=NO in /etc/rc.conf)
- start syslog-ng (syslogng=YES in /etc/rc.conf)
- use of PROVIDE, REQUIRES, BEFORE...
  should /etc/rc.d/syslog-ng containt PROVIDE=syslogd ?
  should it contain PROVIDE=syslogng ? then what for other scripts that
  will depends on syslogd ?

TIA,
	Jo
--