Subject: Re: decent mp3 players supported by open source tools?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2005 22:04:23
It occurred to me that Aaron J. Grier wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:47:59PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> Are there any decent mp3 players (support for ogg and flac is
>> desirable) that work well with NetBSD?  I haven't heard much good
>> about the iPod tools.
>
> my creative labs muvo shows up as a umass USB device with sd0 attached
> to it.  (assuming the kernel isn't being pissy about buffer space...)
> for some reason I can't directly mount the drive, but mtools is happy to
> copy mp3 files over.

I had issues with my Muvo2 too - untill I decided to live life on the
razor's edge[1], deleted the first few tracks using dd, and let NetBSD create
the FAT partition.

The Muvo whined for a second about this treatment, but it has been working
ever since.

Of course, there's some minor peaves about the muvo - like the fact that
it spends a generous amount of time searching for "new" mp3s every now and
then, and that the controls are a little bit on the teeny side. Screen
could be larger, too. Then again - at least it *has* a screen[2].

I assume the "searching for new MP3s" bit is a result of not having to use
proprietary tools to update various databases like the ipod. It cuts both
ways..

Martijn

[1] Knowing that the built-in recovery stuff would still be able to re-format
    the disk if it really needed to, so there wasn't a lot of risk there.
[2] Which is a drawback, if you believe Apple.