Subject: Re: 2.0 install problems on Proliant1600
To: Peter Hufnagel <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/03/2005 09:53:29
In message <422703D9.1080200@aol.com>, Peter Hufnagel writes:

>Anyways, on to figuring out why any memory in
>the 2nd 512M fails, but works in the first 512M.

I had a similar problem with a laptop once -- both cards were fine
individually, but if they were both installed together, I got memory
errors.  Nor was it a a system board problem.

I was told that the problem was memory bus capacitance -- or or both
DIMMs were slightly out of spec; together, that caused a problem.

But if it's always the second 512M that's failing, another possibility
is that your system board is bad, though it may just be dirty contacts.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb