Subject: Re: LFS (was Thank you NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/2005 19:12:06
> Did they ever come out with fsck for AdvFS?  I remember when it first
> came out there was no supplied fsck.  Saw a system crash and then try
> to find fsck on reboot.  Result?  Filesystem trashed.

I know a site that was using AdvFS.  I think they eventually bullied
DEC into coughing up an fsck.  (Something similar happened at another
site that was using IRIX's xfs; they I am sure managed to pry loose an
fsck for their case.)

> NetBSD ffsv1 is very resilient to crashes.  The only times that I've
> lost data is when the underlying hardware was going south.

That matches my own experience.  I've even cut power to live systems
sometimes and never had anything worse than an fsck.  Except for
hardware or software issues; I've seen data lost when, for example,
something goes wonky and starts writing data to the wrong places on the
disk, or that sort of thing.  But it's unreasonable to expect *any*
filesystem to be able to withstand that sort of treatment.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign