Subject: Re: Best way to keep you pkgsrc software up2date
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2005 16:28:06
  "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

  > See pkg_comp, which will do builds in a chrooted environment.  But I've
  > found it complex to set up.

I was scared of pkg_comp for a while, but on digging in found that it
wasn't so hard.  The real problem was that the list of sets in the
example config file (generated my 'pkg_comp maketemplate') had the
wrong sets for some versions of NetBSD.  I think it was for 2.0, and I
was using 1.6.2, or the other way around.

Another thing I did that helped is to move most of mk.conf into
/etc/mk.conf.include, .include it from /etc/mk.conf, and  write a
script that copied it into the chroot, so I have the same LICENSE
etc. defs.

So, basically my advice is to just dig in calmy with the docs and
trying it, and after half an hour you'll probably be doing fine.  It's
worth it, since then you can delete/rebuild (using pkg_chk or
pkgdepgraph) without breaking your running system.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>