Subject: Confused about how to build world
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2005 09:53:52
I'm experimenting with NetBSD 2.0 on an older laptop.  I've used *Free*BSD
servers and desktops for years, but this is my first experience with
*Net*BSD.  The installation went perfectly (except that the kernel didn't
associate my PCMCIA network card with the correct driver; PR submitted) and
I now have a fully running system.  So far so good!

Now, though, I want to rebuild my system.  I checked out a copy of the
source with "cvs checkout -rnetbsd-2-0 -P src" (that'll give me 2.0 +
security updates, won't it?).  Do I understand correctly that the "correct"
way to re-compile everything is as a crosscompile, as per chapter 25 of the
guide, even though I'm not really crosscompiling?

If so, then the instructions look like I'm supposed to "build.sh build" and
then "build.sh release", but /usr/src/BUILDING doesn't make it sound like
the "release" target actually installs the newly-compiled binaries.

Please forgive my ignorance and the fact that I haven't experimented too
heavily yet.  Said laptop is a K6-3/333 and the "build.sh build" step I
played with took overnight to finish, so it's kind of hard to try things
out to see what works.

Many thanks!
--
Kirk Strauser