Subject: Re: Sort of off-topic, but....
To: Chris Clymer <chris@theconceited.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2005 00:11:59

SFU != Cygwin, but that said:

> Anyone who has said otherwise is misinformed, as I have it on the windows
> partition of my laptop whichs is, you guessed it, XP Home.

This is good news.  The webpage for SFU explicitly says it won't install on
XP Home, which caught me off guard (since XP Home is simply XP Pro with a
few more wizards and a bunch of advanced settings hidden from view).

> SFU's main requirement is an NTFS filesystem.

If that's all it requires on XP Home, I'm happy to hear it and I'll document
it appropriately in the pkgsrc Guide subsection for Interix.  I believe it
already mentions NTFS there, but I'll clarify it and point out that some XP
Home installations may not be using NTFS.

> SFU also works win Win2k just fine...again, assuming its installed on an NTFS
> filesystem.

Yes, Win2k is listed as a supported platform for SFU.  One caveat is that
Win2k, I believe, can't do case-sensitive NTFS (or at least, the SFU
documentation leads me to believe that).  So you have to be a little more
... careful ... with pathnames on such a case-insensitive filesystem.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>