Subject: Re: rack-optimised i386 machines
To: Petar Bogdanovic <20050202.netbsd-users@smokva.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2005 09:03:20
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can imagine, that this question was asked a few times already. Even so, my
> google investigation was not very lucky.
>
> Could somebody recommend rack-optimised i386-machines (for serving purposes),
> with hardware, which is largely supported by NetBSD 2.0? If you know a
> specific model, great. If you know a brand, even better. The problem is
> always, that you see a lot of nice (and cheap) hardware, but at the same
> time, you never know, how dmesg is going to look like. When you want to buy a
> notebook, the whole thing gets easier - go into the shop and ask the guy to
> let you start the machine with a live-cd.. but I don't really know, how this
> should work, when you want to test any other (more expensive) hardware.

 	I'm using an AMD64 Asus AV8 deluxe board in an Antec
 	2U20ATX300XPR 2U case, undre NetBSD/i386, and very happy with
 	it. The sk ethernet had an issue under 2.0, but runs well under
 	2.0_STABLE. The PATA and SATA interfaces work fine. At some point
 	I plan to put NetBSD/amd64 on it, but its main use is to run
 	tomcat under linux emulation, i386 was good for now :)