Subject: Re: Sort of off-topic, but....
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Christopher JS Vance <netbsd@nu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2005 23:18:21
On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:08:34AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
>I've used CygWIN in the past, but they have this silly idea of a
>custom download tool which requires you to connect the (insecure)
>MonopolySoft computer to the Internet while downloading.  I'd
>rather not do that.

Cygwin has no requirement on a direct connection to the internet.

I update several systems by doing a two step update: one invocation of
the silly tool downloads the files to a single machine via my squid,
and one invocation on each system to update from the local download
area.

My MS computers are all firewalled so they can't make direct
connections off the local intranet.  Outbound access is proxied, and
there is no inbound access.  And I can still update cygwin.

--
Christopher Vance