Subject: DHCP Server wonīt start up
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Carsten Laux <carstenlaux@online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/06/2005 21:02:28
Hi,

Iīve posted this already on NetBSD-help a few days ago, and I have no resolution
for this since the hole last week.

My problem is that the DHCP Server wonīt start up. And I have no idea why?

What Iīve done so far:

I installed NetBSD 2.0 on i386 on two different machines with different
Network Cards.
It was always a fresh installation. On the machine that I use at the moment
is no firewall or something else enabled.

My configuration steps:

Installed NetBSD
Configured the Internet Connection via Kernel pppoe -> is working fine

Created dhcpd.conf in /etc and wrote the following script:

#Global parameters
allow unknown clients;
allow all clients;
authoritative;
ddns-update-style none;
ddns-updates off;
option domain-name "psg.net";
option domain-name-servers 217.237.150.141;
option routers 192.168.10.1
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0

subnet 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.10.50 192.168.10.100;
default-lease-time 60000;
max-lease-time 65000;
}

Now when I would like to start DHCP from the command line with
the command dhcpd ex1 -d -f the only output I get is this:

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

The Router has two 3com 3c905c Network Cards. ex0 is the
external Interface for pppoe and ex1 is the internal interface for DHCP.

Hereīs the output from ifconfig -a

ex0: flags=8863<up,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>mtu
1500
capabilities=7<IP4CSUM,TCP4CSUM,UDP4CSUM>
enabled=0
address: 00:10:22:fd:ab:36
media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
status: active
inet6 fe80::210:22ff:fefd:ab36%ex0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

ex1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
capabilities=7<IP4CSUM,UDCSUM>
enabled=0
address: 00:10:22:fd:b0:26
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
status: active
inet: 192.168.10.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
inet6 fe80::210:22ff:FEFD:b026%ex1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

I donīt have a local DNS Server. I must use the DNS Server from my ISP.
When I enable DHCP for test reasons in the rc.conf and I reboot the PC,
the messages are the same.

It would be nice, when somebody can give me some advice or has some ideas
how can I get a running DHCP Server.

Has NetBSD specific things to set up or are there any known issues with DHCP?
Is it advisable to install the DHCP Server provided from the ISC Website?
(Because they recommend to install this one if somebody
has problems)

As you can see, the setup is pretty simple. There shouldnīt be any problem at all.

I will provide any information that is requested from me for this case.

Regards

Carsten