Subject: Up-stream bandwidth shaping without resorting to linux/iptables?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2005 16:55:50
Hello all,

I have been trying to setup an asychronous dsl gateway to LAN for
about a month now.

The problem I am having is that the up/down ratio (1:10) is severely
limiting the performance of the link when various programs (p2p
mainly) swamp the upstream channel with connections and therefore
grind "essential" services (http etc) to a halt.

I've tried ALTQ with CBQ but was told it isn't possible to control upstream.

The current solution is to default deny all with ipf (4.1.3 under
netbsd2) and let through http etc.

This breaks passive ftp (and the active ipf proxy is broken for this
release) and programs such as skype/VoIP.

Is there a way I can control upstream bandwidth in netbsd? Ie allocate
30% of available upstream to http/essential services and let the rest
queue with a garuanteed bandwidth of ~5k/s for each connection?

I have read about "wondershaper" under linux which does exactly this,
and am very close to switching over to linux to try this out; although
I'd much prefer to rest with bsd/ipf.

Do you have any ideas what I can try under BSD? Am I mistaken in that
ALTQ cannot do this? Are there any alternatives?

Amadeus