Subject: Re: mk.conf & compiler flags
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2005 15:16:40
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Dunric wrote:
>> I just wish to rebuild whole system including packages with
>> "-O2 -pipe -march=pentium3" in proper way.
>
> Be careful.  gcc-3.x using -O2 enables a form of optimization which can break
> a fair amount of source code.  Consider using:
>
> 	-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
>
> ...unless you understand and are willing to fix the type-punning warnings.
>
> --
> -Chuck

Hm?

As far as I remember, most (all?) pkgsrc code compiles with -O2 by
default with 3.x without problems. Don't remember whether this uses
-fno-strict-aliasing or not.

Beside that, I'm interested in hearing about those problems,
thinking about my own codes.

Can you give some link/details concerning those issues please?

Thanks
Florian